I read an inetesting article for class the other day. Apparently Ikea changed their font in their new catalog and the whole world is up in arms about it. Well, maybe not the whole world, but a lot of people.
Ikeas old font was their own special version of Futura, but they just switched to Verdana because they wanted a font that would be more effective in other languages and on the internet.
People are very upset about it, calling it repulsive, disgusting, and cheap. There's even an online petition going around and accumulating a lot of signatures.
Maybe I just don't really get it because I've never thought about the importance of a font. Apparently people like advertisers, logo designers, magazine and book publishers put a lot of time, money, and thought into choosing a font because it can really send an important message about their product. I think I'll start looking around at fonts on products and analyzing what kind of impression I get about the product just by the font they are using.
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment